Welcome to Texas!
Welcome to our beautiful state of Texas. We Texans LOVE our state. This will become very apparent quickly. 🙂
20 fun facts:
- We do not ride horses everywhere. We do not all wear cowboy boots and hats; although they both are super comfortable and stylish. There are a LOT of trucks on the road.
- Texan are overall friendly. They will open doors, say please and thank you. We are also very proud of our state.
- Our weather is weird! Get ready for rapid climate changes. In Houston it’s mainly heat and humidity. The humidity is great for the skin but can be suffocating for people that are not use to it. The weather changes fast. It can be sunny and 70 degrees at 8am, by noon the skies can turn black and you may think the world will end; regardless of the signs, it may or may not rain. By 2 the sun is out and it’s 98 degrees with 80% humidity. You have to be ready for anything. You might experience all four seasons in one day.
- The job sector is strong and is one of the main reasons people move to Texas
If you’re in the military, or you served, you will have friends everywhere. Thank you for your service!
- We don’t have state income taxes but our property taxes are high.
- Texas can be highly diverse. Especially in cities like Houston. This fact has brought wonderful cuisines, cultures and activities. It’s just awesome!
- The FOOD! We have amazing cuisines. BBQ is a big deal but we have very diverse cuisines and overall amazing restaurants. Tex Mex is life. Tex Mex is not Mexican food. We are serious about Queso and chips. Whataburger is the best fast-food burger. Follow me on yelp for ideas. I love to try new restaurants.
- Regional beers are amazing.
- Home are still affordable compare to other parts of the country.
- Traffic! Expect traffic, especially is larger cities. If you can live near work, do it.
- Everything is bigger. This is a true statement referring to a lot of things in Texas. The one that surprises people the most are the drive times. You can drive 1 hour and go from Houston to Houston, yes, that’s not a typo. The Houston metro area in HUGE. Check out this comparison that Texas Monthly did on Texas.
- We are also known as the lone star state.
- Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation. The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845; some still think we are!
- Austin is considered the live music capital of the world.
- Texas is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the south.
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. YUM!
- Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies. Interesting!
- The armadillo is the official state mammal.
- Texas has 3 of the top 10 most populous cities in the United States: Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio.
Texas is a popular relocation destination. If you’re moving here, we’d love yo help you with your real estate needs. Buy or rent, we are here to help when you are ready.
Check out the State of Texas website for general information
Who’s moving here?
Top 5 States Moving to Texas*
- California – 63,175
- Florida – 33,740
- Louisiana – 28,700
- Illinois – 26,214
- New York – 20,644
*Source:Texas Realtor® TEXAS RELOCATION REPORT | 2019 EDITION