Once you are ready to start shopping for a home, there are several things you need to consider:
Make a list of NEEDS and WANTS. Needs will include your deal breakers. Your wants will include items you’d like to have but wouldn’t stop you from buying a home.
- Location: Think about commuting to work, visiting friends and family, and hobbies.
- Do you prefer a suburban, rural or urban location?
- Type of property: Single property residence, condo, townhome, etc.
- Do you prefer new construction or resale?
- Home Size: Number of bedrooms and bathrooms? Minimum square footage? Stories? Number of garage spaces?
- Specific rooms needed: game room, study, formal dining room, eat-in kitchen, etc.
- Property condition: Some of this might be controlled by the type of loan you’re approved for.
- Type of flooring preferred
- Outdoor spaces: size of yard, patio, covered patio, sunroom, etc?
- Ideal budget
- Private pool?
- Neighborhood or Community: What types of amenities would you like to have? Where does your budget fall within the community?
- Special needs: ramps, accessibility, walk-in shower or tubs, etc.
This is a starting point. Your list will evolve as we start looking for a home.